Monday, February 04, 2008

Saturday Night Flats

So, Saturday night, my pal Mara is coming home from vacation and I am picking her up at Newark International. No problem, we do that for each other, she calls, they've landed, no gate, and still has to go thru customs, plenty of time to get to the airport, and I head out in my car. I'm 3 miles or so away - Rte 78 at Hillside for those who know the area - and I get a flat. It's close to 9, and I'm NOT changing this tire myself, so I call AAA, it's going to be at least an hour, I call my pal and tell her what's going on, call the hubby (sick and in bed at home) and then, start winding some Lorna's Laces for my Ocean Toes KAL, since silly me, I didn't bring the current socks with me. These two great AAA rescuers show up about 50 minutes later, and quicker than you can think, change the tire put the donut on, and zoom, I'm on my way to the airport, a call to Mara to find out where she is.

So we're in the car, Mara, her mom and me, suitcases squished in around the flat tire in the trunk, and headed home, I'm travelling below the speed limit - 50-ish to be precise, when BAM... we hit a pothole - no a POTCHASM on Rte 24W right next to the Short Hills Mall. I think crap, say "we'll be ok" and sure as s*** floppity floppity... Yea, a flat - the frikkin donut! We're screwed, and AAA must now tow my car because silly me, I forgot to bring the extra extra spare!
But they can only carry 2 people, there are 3 of us PLUS luggage, so I must call the hubby to get up out of the sickbed, bring the truck down the road and rescue us. He's not happy, I'm really ticked since this is the 3rd tire in less than a month that the NJ roads have killed and I get to pay for it all! I am thinking I should contact NJDOT to see what recourse I have - though I already know the answer.

UPDATE: Not only did the donut rim get bent, the tire on the same side was damaged had to be replaced. So it's not just 2 tires and a donut, it's 3 tires 2 rims and a donut ($1000.00+), since the beginning of the year!!!!


Fix the FRIKKIN ROADS!
FIX THE FRIKKIN ROADS!!
FIX THE DAMN FRIKKIN ROADS!!!!

1 comment:

HODGEPODGESPV said...

in san antonio, texas, there used to be a bumper stitcher: ruined in san antonio by san antonio chug holes!