Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sleep peacefully my sweet handsome boy

You know, once in a lifetime you get to share the world with a special one. Don't get me wrong, I love my kitties, every one of them who have come to my life.

But this handsome boy was different. He was a lover and he demanded that you love him back. So I did, every day I loved him with all my heart. All he wanted was to make me happy. And he did! He followed me around, he came when I called, and he loved me, everyday and everyway he could. He'd sit on my shoulders, and give me kisses and hugs. we went for rides in the car, and in the end, he just never let me know there was anything wrong, until it was way to late to do anything.

Saturday, he started vomiting incessantly, every time he moved practically. But on Sunday & Monday, he seemed better, and I thought he got into something or he wasn't tolerating his new food, but he was even eating plain chicken and drinking water with no upset. This morning, though it was back and I zoomed him over to the vet for an emergency checkup. He was horribly dehydrated from the vomiting. An Xray though showed the real problem. There was something in his large bowel. They would do an ultrasound at noon and see exactly what it was. It was cancer, and it had already grown so much that it had invaded the tissue outside his intestines.

So tonight, Mike & I spent about 45 minutes with my best boy, he had been hydrated, and was looking more like the sweet kitty that I knew, he sat on my shoulder, in my lap around my neck, in Mikes arms, and then finally in my arms, we talked, I scolded him for not letting me know he was sick - gently and not seriously, and he loved me for the last time. And then, the vet did her magic and my sweet man was asleep forever.

My heart is broken and I am so very very sad.

Rest in peace Monster. I am the lucky one to have had you in my life for all these years.

They Will Not Go Quietly

They will not go quietly, the cats that shared our lives.
In subtle ways they let us know their spirit still survives.
Old habits still make us think we hear a meowing at the door.
Or step back when we drop a tasty morsel on the floor.
Our feet still go around the place the food dish used to be,
And sometimes, coming home at night, we miss them terribly.
And although time may bring new friends and a new food dish to fill,
That one place in our hearts belongs to them
...and always will.
-Linda Barnes

edited by my best pal Patty - thank you!

2 comments:

choo choo knits said...

you are in my thoughts and prayers today (with tears in my eyes). Big hugs until I see you - hopefully soon!

O'Malley said...

I'm sooo sorry for your loss. I'm glad that you got to say good bye. You had to make a hard decision, but you did right by him.
bye Monster..